Friday, August 12, 2016

Today's MOZEN: The Summer Swelter

Words and photos by F LoBuono
If you haven't noticed, we are in the midst of a classic New York summer heatwave. And, it's a doozy. In our New Yawk vernacular we would say, it's not just the heat, it's the damned HUMIDITY! In fact, it's so friggin' humid that if you did pass out from the heat, you don't have to worry about falling down - the air is so thick it'll just hold you up! My friends who served in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam had a term for this type of heat that by it's very sound describes it most accurately: The Mung. Even the frequent thunderstorms that we have encounter haven't cooled us down one bit. Rather, they've just made the heat wet.

There aren't many who would say that they enjoy this type of weather. But, I am in that minority. In fact, in some ways, I actually love it.

First, my Sicilian heritage helps. I am dark-skinned and tan easily. I often tell people that I get dark so quickly that it begins as soon someone even shows me a photograph of the sun. Be that as it may, I relish being in the sun. I love to bask in it's power on my face and body. I'm like a giant solar cell that sucks up energy from its rays. So, to the embarrassment of many but me, I'm shirtless whenever possible. To me, the sun is light. And, light is life. I couldn't live without it. Of course, I take precautions to protect myself from it, too. Part of enjoying life in the sun is knowing when enough is enough. But, still, I love the feel of the heat. I even enjoy the sweat pouring out of my body. It gives me a sense of myself. I'm ALIVE.

Second, when the heat and humidity are this intense, Mother Nature wins. You just HAVE to slow down. Similar to a winter blizzard, the City takes on a completely different pace - one that is considerably slower than the frantic, frenetic one we must cope with on a so-called normal day. Just as the streets may appear empty during a snow storm, so it is in a summer swelter. Normally bustling streets can seem eerily quiet. It leaves you thinking, "where did all the people go"? In my mind's eye (or ear), I can hear the faint sound of a radio playing Janis Joplin's version of "Summertime" through and open window. Perhaps, you may find, as has been a NY tradition for ions, a group of kids cooling off at an open fire hydrant (although this tradition has faded). Being able to get to water is key - even if it's just a cold shower or a dash through the gushing water of a fire hydrant. The combination of cool water on a hot body is both refreshing and rejuvenating. I know that as long as I can get to water to cool off, there is no such thing as too hot for me.

Third, summer swelters like this one will almost assuredly produce thunder storms whose celestial pyrotechnics cannot be matched by anything made by man. Last night, around midnight, on my way home from work, I was treated to one of the most spectacular light shows that I have ever seen. The lightening exploded with thunderous claps behind the thick clouds and over the George Washington Bridge. The effect was to create astonishing shapes and forms that lit up the entire bridge and City. Then, the rain came in buckets to quench a thirsty world. It was almost as if I could hear the earth drink.

Certainly, this weather can be difficult. In some cases, it may even be deadly - if you don't respect it. But, that's another reason that I love it. You must or it will hurt you. But, if you do, at least to me, the rewards can be many. You just have have to accept it for what it and look for what it brings instead of what it takes away.




No comments:

Post a Comment