Friday, August 14, 2015

Today's MOZEN: Like Water.

Words and photo by F LoBuono
By no means is it a new concept. In fact, it's rather ancient. I think that I always "knew" it, but it never completed registered. So, let me call it a revelation. 

I need to become like water.

It came to me, with clarity, the other day. I was attempting to repair the seal on one of my water pipes. Now, stop snickering. Water pipes are also ancient, being used in many cultures to smoke various materials. Be that as it may, mine needed fixing. Without the proper seal, the water reservoir from which the smoke is drawn up and through the head of the pipe was leaking continually, leaving a sloppy mess wherever the pipe was left. So, I began the process of resealing the pipe.

I found that I didn't have a true sealant but I did have some epoxie based glue that I thought should do the trick. I applied the glue to all the places I felt required it and reattached the water reservoir to the head of the pipe. I allowed what I thought was a sufficient time to dry and then filled it with water. Within a few minutes, I noticed moisture at the base of the pipe. Perhaps, it was just spill-over from filling it? However, that was not the case. When I checked the seal I noticed that the leak was STILL emanating from there! I thought to myself that I must have missed a spot. Or, I didn't wait the proper amount of time for the glue to cure. One way or the other, it had to be redone.

I preceded to repeat the procedure with certain "improvements".  I am nothing if not persistent. In addition to the inner seal, I added an extra application of glue to the outer portion. I waited even longer this time before adding the water. Still, attempt #2 failed, as well.

I added even MORE glue.

After the third attempt, I checked the pipe for leakage. Nothing. I waited a few more minute and nothing. Apparently, my extra efforts had worked. It was holding!

So, now, besides the power of persistence, what I did I learn?

Water is patient. It can be rapid, but it doesn't HAVE to be. It waits for its opportunities. It is inexorable. It will not stop until it reaches its goal. It may take eons but water will always win out. It rages and trickles. It splishes and splashes. It dashes and smashes. It gives and it takes. Water has no form but can still assume any shape it desires. It can move boulders and mountains.  It can also seep and creep.. It can trickle out of your hand or carve its mark into the very shape of the earth. It can grow a flower as well as cause massive destruction. Water is eternal. Water is life.

Yes, I need to be more like water.

Indeed.



No comments:

Post a Comment