Thursday, August 6, 2015

Today's Short Story: Fish Tacos.

Words and photo by F LoBuono
If I'm not working, Wednesdays mean tacos - fish tacos, in fact, at my favorite watering hole in town - for 2 bucks a piece. Bottles or draft Corona beers are also 2 bucks (however, my preference is for a Manhattan or two, prepared with the utmost skill by Pete, the bar's master mixologist). Plus, it's the only joint in town that's right on the water. The sunsets over the Tappan Zee are spectacular and, if my Yankees are playing, there are plenty of TV's to catch all of the action. All in all, it's quite the bargain and makes for a fun evening.

Often, I invite friends to join the festivities but, on this particular Wednesday, I was in not in the mood for company. It was a beautiful evening so I took my time strolling the four blocks from my apartment to the bar. I arrived to find a lively crowd but, fortunately for me, there was still plenty of room at the bar. I grabbed a good spot near the open windows and the river. Pete saw me on the way in and, being the outstanding gentlemen that he is, had my cocktail already chilling as I took my seat (LOVE that man!). After a handshake and an exchange of civilities, my glass was filled with a delicious libation! As I took my first, most anticipated sip, Pete asked, "the usual? Three soft shell fish tacos?"  I responded, "indeed".

While I waited for my food, I was enjoying my cocktail, watching the game, and pretty much minding my own business. A woman with short blonde hair came in and sat next to me. She was alone and must have been in her mid-sixties. I found it odd and was even a bit put off that, despite the fact there were many chairs available at the bar, she choose to sit in the one right next to me. But, I don't own the place and it's a free country - sit where ever you want! As I quietly watched my game and imbibed my libation, the woman would make odd, off-hand comments. The Mets were also on, so I learned from her that she was a fan of theirs. She also thought that Mets pitcher Jason DeGromm was the greatest thing since sliced bread. When someone grounded out she uttered, "well, at least he tried and he didn't get hurt. That's the most important thing". After a few more witticisms like that one, I knew my that my friend may not have been playing with a full deck. She was not mean or nasty, just different. In an effort to be polite, I played along answering her questions and nodding my head to her comments. But, I still would have preferred to have been just left alone.

After devouring my fish tacos and downing two cocktails, it was time to go. I made my fair wells to Pete and my new found friend. As I said, she was not harmful but I can't say that I was not annoyed by her presence. I'm sure that it had more to do with me and my mood than it was her. Then, just as I was passing her she said, "thanks for putting up with me". It was totally unexpected and took me a bit by surprise. I must say that her words softened me. It almost made me feel guilty that I was feeling put upon in the first place - almost. Instead, her words reinforced in me the feeling that if you give anyone the benefit of the doubt, if you treat everyone with kindness and respect, it WILL be returned to you.

Now smiling, I enjoyed the lovely night it had become as I walked the four blocks back to my apartment.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading,being here in Nepal I sometime think how carefree you people are,don't care others nearby so easily.If you were in Nepal,,in one day you could become good friend ,especially when you are drinking yeahshe thanked you and enjoyed somebody who was not even interested in talking,,but frank thoughts these are,,so keep it up,,,

    ReplyDelete