Monday, September 3, 2012

Today's MOMENT OF ZEN 9/3/2012


Words and Photo by F LoBuono

When I give myself a chance to reflect in the midst of 12-14 hour workdays, on the road, for weeks, away from home, dealing with intense pressure, I still  have to acknowledge how truly privileged my life has been. To work in an industry that I had not envisioned as a child or young man, but has afforded me a front row seat as a witness to history, is remarkable. This is my third cycle to cover our National elections. From Bush to Obama, I've had the real privilege of seeing how the world's most powerful country is won. I witnessed 9/11 from Ground Zero. I have seen the launch and landing of the Space Shuttle. I lived through Hurricane Katrina. I have chased wildfires in California. I have grieved with families morning their loss in Utah mining disasters. I have put my life on the line to tell a story. And I've made a lot of money doing it, too. But I earned every fucking penny. I have worked all hours and in every weather condition. I have not slept or bathed for days in the pursuit of a story. I have not eaten. I have not gone to the bathroom for hours. But that's because the privilege is won. It is not given.

So, it is with great pride (I am NEVER falsely honest) and with, at the same time, completely humilit,I hope to, in the coming days, present to you, no, SHARE with you, the real impressions of an honest man who will be right in the middle of this VERY American process.  And THAT has got be worth something.


No comments:

Post a Comment