Saturday, June 18, 2016

Today's Mostly True Short Story: Your Mom is Cooking

F LoBuono
Nothing was more important in the world to my father than his family. Nothing. It might have stemmed from the fact that he lost his father when he was just 12. As the oldest boy in a Sicilian immigrant family, it was up to my father to assume the leadership role. He had his mother, a younger brother and two sisters to help care for. I'm sure that this hardship created incredibly strong bonds among them. And, he stayed close to them throughout his entire life.

In addition to losing his father at such an impressionable age, the time at which it happened was also a difficult one in American history - he had to endure a great depression and then fight in a World War. It could not have been easy. Still, my father never appeared morose or bitter. He liked a silly joke, a good tune, the Yankees and the NY football Giants. And, he was one of the most gentle men I have ever met. He constantly let me, my sister, and my brother know just how much he enjoyed our presence. And, that never changed, even after I had left the house.

I was in my mid-twenties and living with a roommate a few towns from where I had grown up. Like most that age and just starting out, I was struggling to make ends meet. But, I was getting by. Besides, it was all about independence. I wanted to prove to both myself and my parents that I was able to make it on my own. So, I did as much as I could on my own - shopping, cooking, laundry, etc. Well, despite that I would get a phone call from my old man virtually every evening. The conversations usually went something like this:

Dad: What ya' doin'?

Me: Well, I just got home from work. I was going to run some errands and then make dinner. Whaz up?

Dad: Your mom is cooking.

Me: Yeah.

Dad: The Yankees are on TV, too.

Me: I was going to do some laundry.

Dad: Well, you could come eat, watch the game with me, AND do your laundry here.

That was SO my father. Nothing could bring him more pleasure than my presence. Nothing.  And, he made that clear to me every day of his life. We WERE his life.

It's so strange that I have no family of my own - no children. Sometimes, it makes me feel like I let my father down. It brought him so much joy I'm sure that he would have had loved to have me experience that feeling, too. But, it was not in the cards for me. I can't go back. I can only go forward - another trait I learned from him.

So, on this Fathers Day I honor him and all the men who have given all of themselves to secure a good life for themselves and their families. All of your sacrifices will not be forgotten.




No comments:

Post a Comment