Sunday, June 19, 2016

Today's MOZEN: Say NO to Bigotry

F LoBuono
Recently, in light of the horrific tragedy in Orlando, presumptive GOP Presidential nominee (still having trouble rapping my head around that!), Donald Trump, has been running his yap about re-instituting some type of racial profiling. He spreads his doctrine of Fear and Loathing by catering to his bases' insecurities about immigration, particularly from certain parts of the world. Of course, we know exactly what areas his is talking about - those from Muslim countries.

That's wrong on so many levels. And, I should know because I have felt the sting of being profiled.

I am very swarthy so, I was once told by a woman, "you are SO Italian looking"! I responded, I'm not Italian. I'm Sicilian. And, when some people have learned that I was of Sicilian heritage I would get statements like, "you realize that Sicily is REALLY close to Africa (it's about 96 miles)". Now, it's not that these people are truly interested in giving me a geography lesson. It's more of a tongue-in-cheek insult that I probably have some black blood coursing through my veins - like I'm supposed to be hurt by that!! And, of course I get: "Oh, you're Sicilian. Your family MUST be in the mafia"!

REALLY!!!

This is what you face when you start lumping people into categories. My family earned everything they got by working for it, often against tremendous odds. But, it's important to keep in mind that they managed to be successful because they fought for the OPPORTUNITY to be American! If we were denied even the CHANCE, we could not have made it here.

Therefore, we should not, we CANNOT, deny what makes us unique in the world. And, that is we are built on the premise that ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL and have the unaliable right to LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS.

THIS, my friends is the American way.

Say NO to bigotry. Say NO to Donald Trump and his lackeys!! NO racial profiling!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment