Thursday, June 30, 2016

When You Think About It: What is Courage?

Words and photo by F LoBuono
We have to use qualifying words like the most recent when referring to terror attacks. There have been so many already with, maddeningly, more to come. Istanbul is just the latest. See what I mean? Be that as it may, we are left to deal with the consequences.

Of course, our initial reaction is shock, followed by grief, outrage, and then anger. I'm sure some psychologist out there can give us the "clinical stages list", should there be one. What I know is that it is reasonable to feel ALL of those emotions. What is not is to focus our rage on an entire group of billions of people for a select mob of troglodytes masquerading as religious zealots!

While pondering all of this, I came to the conclusion that I am changing - evolving, if you will. As a young man, I wanted to be as macho as possible. Virtually all of my adult role models were mens-men. I admired the Vikings, the Romans and all the great warrior cults and cultures. One of my favorite movies as a boy was "The 300 Hundred Spartans"! But, over the years, from reading, researching, and experience, I am coming to a different point of view. It began with a series of questions:

Where does REAL courage TRULY lie? Is it the man with the spear? Or, is it the man at the tip of the spear who refuses to yield to it?

I think I found my answer when I say the photo of the legendary Tank Man, i.e. the Chinese man who faced down a column of tanks in Tienneman Square - with no more than a briefcase in his hands! THIS is REAL courage.

It made me think more deeply about the lives of The Buddha and The Christ. The story of Jesus, in particular, I believe, has particular relevance here. And, make let me make this perfectly clear - this is NOT and endorsement of Christianity or ANY OTHER religion. Rather, it is about THE MESSAGE associated with his acts.

If you will allow me, I would like to use a fictitious conversation between Jesus and his disciples. For convenience, I will use modern parlance.

Disciples (D): So, Jesus, you preach this "non-violence, love-they-neighbor thing". What's that all about?

Jesus (J): Guys, there is a better way than slaughtering each other on a daily basis.

D: Yeah, that's easy to say. It's much harder to do when you can get crucified for it!

J: That's true. But, I will put my money where my mouth is: I'll let the Romans crucify me!

D: Holy shit! No!

J: Yes, I will. I will die the most gruesome death to prove to you that only love can conquer hate. They may kill me but they can NEVER kill the TRUTH behind THE WORD.

And, we know the outcome - Jesus did suffer and die. But, THE WORD has not. It has lasted 2,000 years and shows no sign of abating. And, remember, THE WORD is LOVE.

On a final note, I'm not saying that we can allow ourselves to be murdered. What I am saying is, take a deep breath, see it for the evil it is, and, KNOW that it can, and will be, overcome - by LOVE.





No comments:

Post a Comment