Friday, July 22, 2016

Notes from the RNC: Day 11/Aftermath

Words and photo by F LoBuono

This one will be brief as I am exhausted beyond words and still have to get to the airport to make my flight to Philadelphia. My schedule in Cleveland was brutal - yesterday I worked from noon until nearly 6 am - and, it won't change for the DNC. Hey, it's a living!

The Donald accepted his party's nomination and bloviated for over an hour. He made vague references as to how he would "Make America Great Again". His theme was as consistent as it had been since the beginning of the convention - FEAR and LOATHING! Let me explain how.

One of his biggest proposals was not only the need to control immigration (which I concede needs addressing) but, to BAN it from certain designated areas (i.e. Syria). And, the GOP crowd loved it!

How quickly we forget.

As a Sicilian American, I am VERY aware that at the time my family came to the States, because of the Mafia's deeply rooted connection to Sicilian life, we were labeled as thieves, beggars, and terrorists. There was a move to BAN ALL SICILIANS for the vile acts of a VERY FEW. Yet, my family and millions of others which had absolutely NO connection to La Cosa Nostra were viewed with suspicion, if not worse. In fact, my family, like so many others, FLED Sicily to get away from that terror and make it with hard work in a new land. And, look at us now!!! Some of our greatest leaders have been of Sicilian descent.

Does THIS sound familiar to you when listening to Mr. Donald Trump??? Just change the nationality!!

Please people, THINK. Any one of you whose family emigrated to this Country and, despite the odds, made it here, should be embarrassed to support such a position. WE made it because we were given the CHANCE to. THAT is the American way and we owe it to others who dream the same dream.

Thinking like Trump's can never be allowed to prevail.

Guys, I'm pretty exhausted. Wish me luck. I'm going to need it. Off to the DNC and Philly!!

Ciao for now.

And, this, too -

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/10/opinion/falco-italian-immigrants/



1 comment:

  1. Excellent analysis, Frank. Totally agree. Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete