Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Today's MOZEN: Know What You Are Talking About!

F LoBuono
It's two in the morning and I'm working. In the 24 hour news cycle there is no such thing as down time. It's a 24/7/365 meat grinder of a business. And, I got "lucky" this week: the graveyard shift just before I have to leave for a hard three weeks on the road covering the National Conventions. I HATE it. The shift just wreaks havoc on my body, mind, and soul.  But, it's a living. I'm lucky to have the work, and blah, blah, blah.  At least I keep telling myself that. You know - the Zen Thing.

So, I suppose that its safe to say that I'm cranky as hell. It's at times like these that I feel that there is no need for gravity - the world simply sucks. I also know that this, too, shall pass. But, in the mean time I just want to romp and stomp and bite somebody's ear off just to say I did!* So, just keep that in mind when reading the rest of the post.

Which finally brings me to the current subject of my wrath - Facebook. Overall, I find it to be a wonderful tool. When used properly, it provides for a wonderful exchange of ideas, culture, art, music, and conversation. I have located old friends and made new ones, often from parts of the world I only dream of. It allows me a forum to share my photos and my thoughts with many others.

But, there is also a dark side to Facebook.

Because things are done in absentia, if you will, people will say just about ANYTHING to anyone. I suppose that some may see this as liberating but, it may be seen as cowardly, too. Since we have the safety of "distance" (these are not face to face interactions) many people feel free to be abusive and strident. I know that I do my best to avoid the former but can be guilty of the latter. When we are not directly confronted, we are emboldened to speak our minds. This, of course, starts out as a good thing. But, as conversations progress and things can get more heated, vitriol begins to raise its ugly head. The conversations can go from passionate to poisonous. Pejoratives appear with startling regularity and feelings get hurt. Anger raises. Nothing, in the end, is really accomplished.

And, EVERYONE is an expert. I am often guilty of this. I have strong opinions that I express both within the confines of this blog and on Facebook, as well. There is nothing wrong with having and maintaining a strong position for what you believe in. What IS wrong is not allowing others the same.

Furthermore, what particularly galls me are those who TALK like they are experts but, in reality, know little of the position they so passionately defend. It seems that when it comes to politics, this seems particularly egregious.

The latest example is the FBI's refusal to indict Hillary Clinton for the private email use for classified documents. Now, let me make this clear right now - this is NOT an endorsement of Ms. Clinton or ANY other candidate. It's more an indictment on how Facebook's anonymity encourages everyone to be an expert.

I, for one, have no idea how the FBI conducts such an investigation. Do you? We may have an inkling, but inside, in depth knowledge AND understanding? I doubt it. I KNOW that I don't so I reserve judgement.

What I can say is this: I'm sure that the FBI looked at Ms. Clinton's situation from EVERY angle. It was just too high profile a case to make any mistakes. People make a big deal that if it where ANYONE else, they would have been charged. But, this is nothing more than an ASSUMPTION. Do you know the law and the inner workings of the FBI? I certainly do not. I may question their motives, but, at some point, considering the stakes involved, I have to trust in their decision. I simply DO NOT KNOW with CERTAINTY how these decisions are reached. I am not privy to the inner workings of the FBI and the law! Therefore, when someone is so forceful in their opinion that she should have been charged, I'm left to assume that their motivation is not to seek the truth but to advance their own political agenda. They cry conspiracy and the Clinton's are above the law. Really? And, this you can prove?

As I mentioned before, I have been accused of being strident. And, on occasion, I'm sure that I can at least appear that way. This is particularly true when I comment on the media. But, what people don't understand is that I DO have a valid INSIDER'S view of what happens behind the scenes in the world of TV News - I've been at it on virtually every level (field, studio, management, etc.) for 35 years! Therefore, I may not qualify as an "expert" but my opinion in such matters should be more than just so much palaver.

This is not to invalidate another's position, especially if it comes from qualified source. However, if you are simply talking out of your ass to make noise, you'll reap what you have sewn. And, tonight, that just won't wash.

That is all . . . 



* Jack Nicholson in "The Last Detail"

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I recall those hellish work shifts, And I am most jealous. Ah, the Facebook "experts," including myself. Yet the price of speech freedom comes high, and we all can easily dismiss one another. Still better than having tape on our mouths. Go forth and cover the issues for us, Frank, and much good luck.

    ReplyDelete